Cedefop, European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training, was founded in 1975. Based in Greece since 1995, it supports the development of European vocational education and training (VET) policies and contributes to their implementation.
Cedefop is committed to strengthening European cooperation and providing evidence for VET policy-making on the European level.
The added value of Cedefop is the high quality of its comparative analyses and expertise gathered through research and networking, directed at:
• Providing technical advice and proposing VET policies;
• Filling knowledge gaps and generating new insights on trends and challenges in VET
• Increasing awareness on the image and importance of VET;
• Bringing together policy-makers, social partners, researchers and practitioners to exchange views and discuss strategies for improving VET policies;
• Supporting and encouraging joint European approaches, principles and tools for improving VET.
Cedefop works closely with the European Commission, Member State governments, representatives of employers and trade unions, VET researchers and practitioners. It provides them with up-to-date information on developments in VET as well as opportunities for policy debate. Cedefop disseminates information through its website, publications, networks, study visits, conferences and seminars.
a) ReferNet is a network of institutions established by Cedefop in 2002 with the aim of providing information on national systems of vocational education and training in the EU Member States, Iceland and Norway.
b) Skillsnet network consists of researchers and experts in early identification of skills needs and in transferring research results on future skill requirements into policy and practice.
In 2015, Cedefop celebrated the 40th anniversary of its foundation – and the 20th of its relocation from Berlin to Thessaloniki. 'Old roots for new routes' is the anniversary theme, which draws inspiration from the past to continue the work of improving vocational education and training (VET).
Cedefop disseminates its information through its website, publications, social media, networks, conferences and seminars.
Learn more about Cedefop´s activities: